Sunday 12 April 2015

Before Sunday Arrives in Earnest


    The world is too much with us; late and soon,

    Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers” 
                                 (William Wordsworth, 1807)

            I got up early, or rather early for a Sunday, due to Xena’s mournful petitioning for food. After feeding Xena, who, for the record, has access to dry food all night long, I took the dogs out to the fields while the sun was still rising. The dogs were cast in a golden haze as they roamed and galloped after each other.  At the corner of the first field, they pushed their noses through the thin layer of ice to get at the small spring that bubbles up all winter long. 
            The world was relatively still, though I knew my neighbours in the farms all around us had probably been up for hours, including our neighbours at Shady Grove Maple Farm, who were preparing for another day of families eager to see the maze of blue sap lines zig-zagging through the sugar bush, or to taste the sweet syrup after watching it boil down in the sugar shack.
            While the dogs dashed around me, I tried not not to think about my to-do list for the day: clean the house, rake the leaves, go for a run, shop for clothes for the marathon, and mark, mark, mark.  It doesn’t matter where you put marking in the sentence, for a teacher it is always looming, and this brings me to the dual nature of Sunday, or rather to the ambivalence that many teachers feel towards Sundays.  It is certainly a day of rest, but it is also the day before you get back in front of the class again, so you better have those tests or essays marked, because the students are going to ask, at least those students who can’t help themselves, because they can’t decode that mildly annoyed look on your face when they do ask, or the greatly annoyed look when they ask for the third day in a row.  Not only is Sunday about marking, it is about preparing your classes, because most of us aren’t that comfortable standing in front of a group of people with nothing to say.  Sure there are those teachers who talk about themselves or their families or their pets ad nauseam (for the record I barely mention my cats or dogs), but you don’t want to be that teacher.
            Therefore when you wake on Sunday, you can hear a faint voice, and if you’re lucky, you can keep that voice at a very low volume for a few hours, but after that, it doesn’t matter how grand the distractions might be, that voice is going to get louder and louder until it says in a strikingly rude fashion that it is high time you got down to work, you sad, slothful creature.  You might argue with this voice, you might sneer at it, or even barter for a time, but ultimately, as Robert Frost said, the only way out is through.
            This morning, the voice spoke in hushed tones, allowing me to witness the world waking up, and I tried to pay attention the way animals do.  In our house, the cats spend their time charting the movements of the dogs, while the dogs spend their time charting our movements.  If I even lift my snow pants from the railing in the front hall, as I did this morning, the dogs are at the ready, tails wiggling wildly, as snow pants mean we are going for a walk, and we are going now.  Griffy, who a minute before had been reclining on his bed, seemingly suffering from excessive revelry on Saturday night, was at my side within seconds. 
            As I stood gazing at the smallest filaments of frost, the world grew noisier. Birds exchanged song with one another while in the distance, traffic on highway 24 created a soft shushing sound. Overhead, a bright yellow plane circled under a lingering moon. As the sun rose higher, I grew hot in my snow pants and jacket, and it was time to return to the house to put on my running shoes and train a few more miles before Boston. 
            I’d be lying if I pretended I was incredibly serene all day long; no, the caffeine coursed through my veins, the voice got louder, and then I began bartering: just let me finish this post and I will start my marking, really, I promise.  And so I must.






No comments:

Post a Comment